When I finally said goodbye to all the out-of-town guests from the holidays, I escaped to my sort of re-done studio with the new art supplies I acquired, somewhat inspired by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer’s tutorials and new book. I have been collecting stencils and have even used some of them, but wanted to play!
I’m a paint person. That means, when I get in my journal, I generally use paint, either acrylic or water color, and for the most part, the two have never mixed in my journal. Speaking of my journal, after almost 6 years, my journal is ALMOST done! I have less than a section left before I need to start in a new journal – which I HAVE NOT made yet – so I’ve been reluctant to fill up those remaining pages. Instead, I pulled out what is likely to be a section in my next journal, and started playing in there.
I acquired two kinds of spray inks, without knowing anything about them. I saw Julie using spray inks in one of her tutorials and on my next trip to one craft supply store, I picked up some Heidi Swap spray acrylics and later acquired Dylusions from a different craft supply store. I used the Heidi Swap Mustard spray on a page I had previously wiped my brushes off on (acrylic paint) through a stencil – interesting in a cool way results! I came back to it later, and noticed that the ink smudges a bit if you rub. Hmm… acrylic? smudging?
I started another page with the Dylusions, trying to use a technique I saw in a tutorial video by the designer, Dyan, on the Ranger website. That didn’t work so well, so I went back in with acrylic paint and gesso, collaged some stamped tissue on top and let it sit. On the facing page, I tried a different technique from a different Dyan video, and left it alone.
Last night, I came back to that page, and decided that it was too pastel for me. I went over it with a light coat of white gesso, thinking I would still get the design behind, but be able to create a fresh surface to work on. Hmmmmnn. Colored gesso? The Dylusions were blending with the gesso. Ooops. I should have researched that better! I went over the top with some acrylic through a stencil, then some more. I sprayed some Dylusions on top and left everything to dry. Came in this evening, wet my finger and, sure enough, the Dylusions ink runs, even after drying as you can see in the red puddle just above the Li in my watermark.
So – off to Google I went, to research fixing Dylusions. I found a post on a blog, which looks like a great place to visit, with another technique I plan to try, possibly tomorrow! As for the blog – if you want to read about art journalling, I am happy to recommend the blog I found and promptly bookmarked! Aaron at Imperfect Impluses chronicles his art journalling adventures in well-narrated videos! I plan to visit often!
By the way – The latest issues of the All Dolls Are Art Conference Newsletter and Art-Xscape Retreat Newsletter are now out – after an inadvertently long hiatus. Please visit the websites and sign-up for the newsletters to keep up with the goings-on of both events!