Stretching Art and Tradition 14 and New Etsy Listings!

I’ve spent the last month working on my piece for Stretching Art and Tradition 14:  Foundations of ___________.  It is now in PA along with the rest of the exhibit, which is spectacular!  I finally got my photos edited, along with the rest of SAT14 and SAT13 (Games Children Play), this evening, so I’m posting my finished pieces.

amy_nelson_fl1

This is my piece, Doorway Into the Garden, which is another 3-dimensional quilt.  This is the front view, although it’s actually the Garden part of the piece.  I really wanted to create a tree but didn’t leave myself enough time to figure it out.  Maybe next year.

amy_nelson_fl2

The arch was constructed on a foam core armature which is filled with foam packing peanuts.  I machine quilted 3 different “stone” colored fabrics onto muslin and battling, then cut them to make the bricks.  I machine stitched them to the wool foundation pieces and then pieced the wool together in a weird mix of puzzle piecing and garment construction techniques.

amy_nelson_cu1

I used up the last of my green leaf trim from Treasures of the Gypsy, taking most of a Saturday to bead it on and bead the flower sequins on.

amy_nelson_cu2

The shrub is my hand-dyed rayon ribbon beaded to a pear shaped pillow of green hand-dyed cotton. 

amy_nelson_cu3

The rose bush is constructed the same way as the shrub, with different hand-dyed ribbon and paper roses I got a Michael’s last year.  The monkey grass is two different colors of hand-dyed cotton sewed down the middle and fringed.

amy_nelson_cu4

The foundation is my green hand-dyed cotton overlayed with commercial rock fabric.  All of that was sandwiched onto 2 layers of batting and I spent 3 hours machine quilting all of the rocks to make the cobblestone walk.  I seed-stitched the green in 3 different colors of perle cotton and then stitched the arch to the foundation.  After beading on the “rocks”, I put my botton on which is two layers of Peltex fused to more green hand-dyed cotton and then I stitched the binding on.  The last thing I did was stitch on the rose bush and the shrub.  Whew!  A Lot of work, but it looks incredible.  It’s 25” tall, by 26” wide at the base, and 12” deep.

Speaking of hand-dyed cotton, I cleaned some of my pieces out of my collection and have listed them in my Etsy shop.  I put in a bunch of fall colors I dyed late last year of Kona cotton.  I also listed more velvets and all of the extra Rayon Satin I had left over from my table at All Dolls are Art 2012.

satin_yel_org_multi_1

mustard_1_2

fall_green_1_2

These are lovely fall colors and all of these pieces have been pre-washed and ironed.  The cottons come in 1 yard pieces.  The satin comes in 1/2 yd pieces.  There is a limited quantity and what is in the shop is all I have.