We’ve been blessed with rain twice in the last week, with a chance for more in a few days. We are back in extreme drought, which makes any bit of rain we get very precious. The plants are soaking it up and putting on a bit of a show.
I finished putting in the plants in the newest flower bed in my back yard. I’ve been planning this bed for a while and I’m super thrilled to get it in this year. It will help keep my foundation watered, if nothing else. The rain helped the plants in this bed immensely, as well as making my garden happy! I am not sure why, by my tomato and pepper plants in containers on my patio have already put on fruit while those in my garden are about a month behind, even though they were planted the same time.
In addition to gardening, I’ve been working on the Flower Fairy. She’s all dressed up and has arms now! She has a linen petticoat lined with a ruffle and a second petticoat of embroidered netting. This is topped with her skirt of a silky gauze. She was at this point 3 or so weeks ago when I went to the last CTADS meeting. I attached arms that night and the next and there she sat until this weekend. I got her bodice and corset constructed and embellished this weekend. Now I have her sleeves to make, after which, I’ll need to give her a face! Her head is already sculpted but I’m waiting to draw her face until I finish her costume.
Her skirt and corset have been hand-beaded. The beading on the corset took me most of the afternoon.
I designed her bodice with flowers in mind. I wanted the impression of flower petals and leaves opening up around her.
I really like the asymmetrical hemlines in the fashion magazines right now, which is what inspired her skirt.