The Unveiling of Falerina, the Flower Fairy

face_wings_cu

She’s finished, or just about.  I have her label to sew in and need to spray her face with fixative and stitch her basket to her hands.  Otherwise, she’s ready to take her bow!  She will be listed in my Etsy Shop late this week.  I have to haul out the back drop and the lighting to get her good pictures done, so that won’t happen until Wednesday. 

I am so pleased with her wings, which I finished up yesterday.  I saw a picture of wings by Deb Wood on the A-for-Artistic website and just missed signing up for her class.  I will definitely take it the next time it is offered.  I muddled through creating this wings with help from the class I took at Art Fest last year. 

ears_n_wings

She has ears, unlike most of my dolls lately, because I wanted to use yarn for her hair that I got at Hill Country Weavers last weekend.  I’ll explain the relationship in another post.

finished_front

And here is Falerina with her basket of flowers.  I went shopping for the materials in my studio!  Gotta love it when you don’t have to buy anything to complete a piece!

finished_side

She got her gladiator shoes today.  She even has toenails, which you can’t see because she’s kneeling on them.

wings_back

Here’s a back shot of her wings, without her hair to get in the way.

cu_basket

And a close-up of her basket.  Happy Spring! 

Speaking of spring – a few shots from my garden.  The flowers are definitely blooming.

patio_flowers_042813

My patio at 10am this morning.

flower_bed_back_042813purple_salvia

Purple salvia in my back bed.  I will post more pictures of this bed a bit later.  I’ve got three varieties of salvia mixed together with rosemary, lavender, Mexican Petunia and a couple of trees.  The salvias are going nuts!  It must be the compost I added this year, cause the Hot-Lips salvia has already grown 3 feet from where I wacked it back and the red salvias have put on the longest flower spikes I’ve ever seen.  They are going to pop open any day now and it will be a stunning display.

The new flower bed is taking off.  The mist flowers and the copper canyon daisy are thrilled with their surroundings.

Flower Fairy update: Face!

I finished up sleeves and got the fairy’s face drawn.  I guess I need to name her instead of continuing to call her “the fairy”.  Anyway, in keeping with the soft colors of her costume, I wanted a soft, innocent face.  So, blue eyes, and she’ll likely have blond hair.  I worked with a color pallet that coordinated with the fabrics in her dress.  She looks happy.

face

It took several times to get the eyes and mouth right.  The mouth is a little large, but I think that works in this case.

sleeves_face_41613

She’s going to be holding something with flowers, a bouquet or a basket, maybe.  I have to dig through my stash to see what I have that will work.  Tomorrow evening, I’ll stitch on her head and start on wings.  The to do list to finish her up includes painting her fingernails, sculpting her toes and giving her shoes and hair.  Hopefully, she’ll be finished up and listed on Etsy by the end of the weekend!  Here is the full length shot, so you can see her finished costume.

Face_FL_41613

Flowers and Fairies

poppy_april_13

We’ve been blessed with rain twice in the last week, with a chance for more in a few days.  We are back in extreme drought, which makes any bit of rain we get very precious.  The plants are soaking it up and putting on a bit of a show.

sunflowers_n_poppies

butterfly_iris_41413

pansies_41413

I finished putting in the plants in the newest flower bed in my back yard.  I’ve been planning this bed for a while and I’m super thrilled to get it in this year.  It will help keep my foundation watered, if nothing else.  The rain helped the plants in this bed immensely, as well as making my garden happy!  I am not sure why, by my tomato and pepper plants in containers on my patio have already put on fruit while those in my garden are about a month behind, even though they were planted the same time.

new_bed_413

In addition to gardening, I’ve been working on the Flower Fairy.  She’s all dressed up and has arms now!  She has a linen petticoat lined with a ruffle and a second petticoat of embroidered netting.  This is topped with her skirt of a silky gauze.  She was at this point 3 or so weeks ago when I went to the last CTADS meeting.  I attached arms that night and the next and there she sat until this weekend.  I got her bodice and corset constructed and embellished this weekend.  Now I have her sleeves to make, after which, I’ll need to give her a face!  Her head is already sculpted but I’m waiting to draw her face until I finish her costume.

dress_fr_41413

Her skirt and corset have been hand-beaded.  The beading on the corset took me most of the afternoon.

corset_cu_41413

bodice_cu_41413

I designed her bodice with flowers in mind.  I wanted the impression of flower petals and leaves opening up around her.

dress_bk_41413

I really like the asymmetrical hemlines in the fashion magazines right now, which is what inspired her skirt.

skirt_cu_bk_41413

dress_side_41413