My First Juried Exhibit and a Sneak Peak at my next doll

marley_oct_2012_2

I submitted a couple of pieces to the Round Rock Arts Council’s November Photography and Sculpture show, not knowing what to think.  I didn’t hear back by the deadline, so didn’t think I had made it in.  I got a call today asking if I was still bringing my pieces by, so I am so very excited!  Doorway Into the Garden and Mercadriel were accepted for their show at the Texas State University’s Round Rock campus.  The opening reception is Friday night and I plan to go, likely with Mom.

garden-door-2

head_attached

I’ve been gradually cleaning up the house, having shipped all of the Stretching Art and Tradition 14 pieces back to their creators.  I decided to follow up on an idea I had to make a Christmas Angel out of my Modron, Goddess of Fall, pattern.  When I made her, it occurred to me that she would make a perfect Christmas Angel.  I started on her this last week.  Yesterday, when working on stuffing her fingers, I had a blow-out, and decided to stop for the day.  This evening, I sewed up another arm and while the Fray-check was setting, I started stuffing the other arm from yesterday and had another blow-out.  I haven’t had issues with fingers in years, but the arms for this doll are just not working well.  I was able to ladder stitch up the damage similar to darning socks.  Of course, I got that done and turned the fingers on the replacement arm, only to discover I had made a second left arm when what I needed was a right arm.  Arrrggg…  Never fails.  So, I set the arm aside and stuffed the second leg.  She now has both legs pinned on and I can show an in progress pic, although they are not exciting.

body_side

body_front

 

We have had alternating fall and early summer weather over the last week and Marley has decided his favorite place to sleep is the patio table.  We’ve had some high winds lately and during one of those, my patio furniture went flying along with some glass which broke all over my patio.  I managed to start the cleaning up process on that this weekend, but Marley still thinks the table is the best spot to sleep.

marley_oct_2012

Speaking of Stretching Art and Tradition, SAT15 is now posted on the website: www.stretchingartchallenge.org.  If you are interested, you can join our yahoo group.

Stretching Art and Tradition 14 and New Etsy Listings!

I’ve spent the last month working on my piece for Stretching Art and Tradition 14:  Foundations of ___________.  It is now in PA along with the rest of the exhibit, which is spectacular!  I finally got my photos edited, along with the rest of SAT14 and SAT13 (Games Children Play), this evening, so I’m posting my finished pieces.

amy_nelson_fl1

This is my piece, Doorway Into the Garden, which is another 3-dimensional quilt.  This is the front view, although it’s actually the Garden part of the piece.  I really wanted to create a tree but didn’t leave myself enough time to figure it out.  Maybe next year.

amy_nelson_fl2

The arch was constructed on a foam core armature which is filled with foam packing peanuts.  I machine quilted 3 different “stone” colored fabrics onto muslin and battling, then cut them to make the bricks.  I machine stitched them to the wool foundation pieces and then pieced the wool together in a weird mix of puzzle piecing and garment construction techniques.

amy_nelson_cu1

I used up the last of my green leaf trim from Treasures of the Gypsy, taking most of a Saturday to bead it on and bead the flower sequins on.

amy_nelson_cu2

The shrub is my hand-dyed rayon ribbon beaded to a pear shaped pillow of green hand-dyed cotton. 

amy_nelson_cu3

The rose bush is constructed the same way as the shrub, with different hand-dyed ribbon and paper roses I got a Michael’s last year.  The monkey grass is two different colors of hand-dyed cotton sewed down the middle and fringed.

amy_nelson_cu4

The foundation is my green hand-dyed cotton overlayed with commercial rock fabric.  All of that was sandwiched onto 2 layers of batting and I spent 3 hours machine quilting all of the rocks to make the cobblestone walk.  I seed-stitched the green in 3 different colors of perle cotton and then stitched the arch to the foundation.  After beading on the “rocks”, I put my botton on which is two layers of Peltex fused to more green hand-dyed cotton and then I stitched the binding on.  The last thing I did was stitch on the rose bush and the shrub.  Whew!  A Lot of work, but it looks incredible.  It’s 25” tall, by 26” wide at the base, and 12” deep.

Speaking of hand-dyed cotton, I cleaned some of my pieces out of my collection and have listed them in my Etsy shop.  I put in a bunch of fall colors I dyed late last year of Kona cotton.  I also listed more velvets and all of the extra Rayon Satin I had left over from my table at All Dolls are Art 2012.

satin_yel_org_multi_1

mustard_1_2

fall_green_1_2

These are lovely fall colors and all of these pieces have been pre-washed and ironed.  The cottons come in 1 yard pieces.  The satin comes in 1/2 yd pieces.  There is a limited quantity and what is in the shop is all I have.