Busy, Busy, Busy, But Creative

In short bursts, I’ve managed to eke out some creative work in the time since I last posted.  I have completed a doll for the Stretching Art and Tradition challenge, almost finished a Catrina from my Central Texas Art Doll Sculptors Retreat, and started on my Houston Dolls.  Plus I finally got the Kerfluffle entry done in the Words Art Journal Round Robin.  So – lots of pictures this post!

First – She Wears Many Hats

full_front

For the complete details on this piece, visit Stretching Art and Tradition 15: Hi! It’s Me!.

face

Next, my Catrina – in polymer clay!  I never work in polymer clay because I can never figure it out!  Major props to Yoanna B who developed and lead this project in the CTADS retreat, because I actually managed to sculpt something in polymer clay!  Her costume isn’t done yet.

Catrina_ip

Catrina_ip_head

feet

And last, but certainly not least – the Words Journal Round Robin.  First, the work by this journal’s creator, Donna.

fr-cover

inside-fr-cover

first_page

Next – the first word “Imagine”, artist unknown because she didn’t sign her work.

Imagine_1

Imagine_2

Next:  Peggy W with Believe

believe_1

believe_2

Next – Debbie G with “Moon”

moon_1

moon_2

And the moon opens up to reveal this:

moon_3

Next Suzanne, from MT, with “Wings”

wings_1

I love seeing what Suzanne comes up with, as she always has something interactive to play with!

wings_2

wings_3

Now, for my entry: Kerfluffle.  This word gave me quite a bit of trouble.  After much thinking about it (I’m only 3 months late mailing), I arrived at this:

kerfluffle_1

kerfluffle_2

kerfluffle_3

I first drew the large Kerfluffle letters on the page in pencil.  Then I started lettering with Fine, Extra Small, and Brush Pitt Pens around the page.  The goal was to create a blanket of letters in different styles and hands, without actually doing calligraphy.  I will be mailing it off to Mary Monday!

Spring Fever and Imagine!

nuthatch_2013

I fully planned to write this post last weekend, but I wore myself out, then got hold of some bad shrimp which resulted in food poisoning.  On top of that, work has been a time-consuming affair since I came back from San Fran.  But that’s enough excuses.

mountain_laurel_2013firecracker_plant_2013

Last Saturday, I dug in 5 more bags of compost into the low bed in front of my sewing room.  I say dug in, but the ground was soooo hard, there wasn’t much digging.  I planted more plants in the berm and the raised bed next to the driveway, some santolina in the berm, some daylillies and verbina in the raised bed. 

poppy_feb_13

I added Oxallis and Dianthas to the low bed and then I went back in and planted thyme to start creeping along the raised bed.  I built a walk way with some of the left over stone from my patio between the raised bed and the bird bath. 

mari_birdbath

And last, but certainly not least, I hauled 1/2 a yard of mulch over the low bed and got the other 1/2 yard out of my Dad’s pickup.  I worked from 8:30 to 4pm on Saturday and completely wore myself out.  My front beds are almost done, though!

berm_feb_13

The cats really enjoyed working in the yard with me.

Mari_feb_13

marley_feb_13

Prior to all of the yardwork over the weekend, I did my Imagine entry in Susanne’s Word’s Journal.  I wasn’t sure were I was going initially, but I really liked how it turned out.

full_spread

The two page spread doesn’t appear to be tied together, but I used the same colors in the Imagine page (right) that I used in the Excavation page (left).  I added a bunch more colors on the Imagine page though.  I used very different techniques between the two pages.

Excavation_full_page

I started with Excavation, applying a very thick layer of gesso to the page.  I stamped into it with a gothic calligraphy stamp, then stamped off on the Imagine page.  I wiped my gesso brush off on the Image page center. 

Excavation_cu

Once the gesso was dry, I used a wash of Bone Black fluid acrylic over the texture on the Excavation page, which I then wiped off the raised parts.  I used successive layers of fluid acrylic in Permanent Violet, Quin Gold, Bright Copper, and a bit of Quin Burnt Orange.  I used some of these same colors in washes on the Imagine page.

Imagine_page_full

As I got color down on the Imagine page, I decided I wanted to use a stencil of dragon flies and butterflies spiraling up concentric circles in the center.  I needed a way to set it off, so I used very light washes of Naples Yellow, Quin Crimson, and Permanent Violet in the opening I’d left from stamping off.  I laid the stencil down and misted Pthalo Turquoise over the stencil.

Imagine_top I went back in with white to highlight the circles.  About this time, I figured out that I was creating a sunset and added clouds in Dioxazine Purple and Anthroquinone Blue, highlight with white.  I added a sun using Bright Copper, painted over with Quin Burnt Orange and Permanent Violet.  I used a white crayon to write Imagine and then wiped paint off so it showed.

Imagine_middle

Imagine_bottom

Next up is Debbie’s Journal and “Believe”.  I didn’t realize that I knew anyone in the RR besides Naomi, the organizer, but Debbie is my friend Debbie G from St. Louis!  She comes to All Dolls Are Art and silk screened my bags last year.  Her journal is lovely.  I’m going to get it photographed and will post on that later in the weekend.